Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Nneka


February 14 at Double Door in Chicago


   I fell in love with this Nigerian singer's voice listening to her hit song, Heartbeat. I found out about her with Spin's article on up and coming new artists.  After listening to Heartbeat, I wanted to make sure this wasn't just a one hit wonder or an artists whose songs all sound very similar.  They don't.  From The Comfortable Truth to Africans, I enjoyed all of her songs.  She goes from Dub/Jamaican reggae sounding on Heartbeat, to a soulful, Jazz calling on her song The Comfortable Truth.  Although she has been releasing singles since 2005, her US debut album won't be coming out till February 2nd.  It will be titled Concrete Jungle.  She has been in the US since November, and with the recent terrorist attack, I'm glad that she was able to stay and didn't have to go through a lot of crap that I'm sure people from Nigeria are going through when flying into the US. 

Anyway, check out Heartbeat above and also these other music videos from her:


No comments:

Post a Comment