Monday, July 12, 2010

Blastoids

 Kids Hands Smell Like Glitter (2009)

According to Wikipedia, Blastoids are "an extinct type of stemmed echinoderm".  I have no idea how that correlates to this band, but I do know that these guys are no echinoderms.  Cause their extinct, of course.  Instead, these Blastoids are Tyler Walker, Joe Volmer and Charlie Hareford all part of some Tennessee cult/collective called the "Owlhead collective."  What other bands are a part of this collective of musicians?  I have no idea.  All I got for bands was one band called "Party Trash" and possibly another band called "Chomp Womp" which actually could be another collective of musicians.  So far what I've heard, there is some crazy good sounds being made in Tennessee.

Blastoids can be right away compared to Animal Collective.  Their vocals.  The setup of their songs.  The craziness of their music and samples they use throughout.  But the sound is all their own.  Being someone who gets bored easily with music, I love any music that is complex, multilayered, that changes completely throughout each song and that has some amazing percussion and vocals.  All I ask.  And this band does all of that.   And what is great is you can download their album for free off their Myspace page.  Hopefully they come up to Madison so we can repay them by rocking out to their show.      

No comments:

Post a Comment