Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Books


New Album - The Way Out

just got this album and I had only listened to it once, but man, is it pretty great.  Along with some of their more classic cello narration of sampled audio, they have included some more fast paced electronic sounds to some of their other songs.  Like previous albums, the audio samples they have found take precedence and through those sounds, they try and create a musical story.   On the song "A Cold Freezin' Night" you hear multiple children recounting some strong feelings from "I wish I was a boy" to a child recounting how he's going to torture and kill some Meredith (not as gruesome as you would think from this description.  Children have an imaginative and less horrific attitude towards what "torturing" someone would be.  Another song, "I am who I am" you hear what sounds like a preacher bellowing out that he is who he is which to me has a resonance of someone coming out as being something different then the mainstream.  As if the preacher is justifying who he is by repeatedly saying "I am who I am".  This music, labeled "collage music" by one of the duo of The Books, leads one to think more on what the song is trying to say.  On songs where there actually is a singer, the lyrics are just as cryptic and haunting, such as on "We Bought the Flood" which starts, "I was born with a teacup on my head;Copper tin and lead, ash and dust".  

My recommendation, get this album.  If you are like me and have "found" most of The Books albums online because they were out of print, redeem your love for this band by buying this album.  You won't regret it.

The Books

No comments:

Post a Comment