Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Laarks

Thursday, March 11 at Project Lodge

Hey look!  It's an Eau Claire band!  It's always great to get a hold of some good music that is from Wisconsin.  Hell, I didn't hear about Bon Iver until after the rest of the world had.  You're in my state, Bon Iver.  At least play a few shows before you explode into fame.  With that said, I'm glad that the Project Lodge is providing a space for these guys.  Cause if they are going to blow up to Bon Iver status, I can at least say I saw them before they got big.  

Laarks reminded me of Ben Folds with some of their playful sounding lyrics sung by Ian Jacoby.  But thankfully, there isn't a piano central to their sound.  No offense to pianos, but I already have enough bands in my repertoire that bang on that instrument.  Their music sounds more what you would expect from other Indie Rock bands.  Drums, guitars with slight distortion, vocals with slight echo.  The thing is that with this band, you won't keep saying to yourself, "eh, they are alright, but they just aren't there yet".  No, I think this band is nailing a solid sound pretty well and finding a great balance between vocals and music.  My biggest peeve is people who can't figure out that vocals should go with the music, not against it.  Ian's voice is great.  The music is great.If I wasn't working,  I would totally check them out.  And hey, so should you.  

An Exaltation of Larks  (2009) 

1 comment:

  1. Show is All Ages. $5. Starts at 7:30pm.

    They are playing with Time Since Western.

    ReplyDelete