Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Phoenix




Tonight

September 23

Aragon Ballroom

Chicago



Phoenix was one of the many bands that I'm pretty sure Cheng introduced me to. Or Ryan. Either way, I know their song Lisztomania was the first song I heard from them. I was able to catch the last song of their set at Bonnaroo which was 1901 and probably their most well known song off their latest album Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix. They were playing right before Crystal Castles, who I was really excited to see. I'm the type that if passing by a tent at Bonnaroo I come across some great music coming from it, I tend to try to fight my way through the crowd to see whose playing. We were hearing the beginning of 1901 as we approached the tent and this song is so fun and danceable that I was excited to push through to where everyone was dancing. After their set, two people that were standing near us expressed how they have never heard of Phoenix before, but definitely thought it was one of the best bands they saw so far. I saw that they were touring this fall and that almost all of their shows have sold out except one in Chicago. So that is where I'm off to tonight and I'm pretty excited for this show.

Phoenix I feel is a more realistic band in the sense that they have been putting albums out for a long time and have only recently gotten any recognition. I never understand how bands who haven't even put out an album get blown up so quickly. Also, reading up on them, although they are from France they have been getting more attention outside of France particularly in the U.K. and in the United States. I know, how un American to be loving a product of France that isn't fashion or food. Here's hoping we can put our international feud aside and more bands from France make it big over here.



Top Songs to Listen Too:

Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix

Lisztomania
1901
Fences


Unfortunately I haven't checked out their earlier albums, but when I do, I'll let you know which songs to check out.
ADDENDUM:
I have to say that the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago is the most beautiful venue I have ever seen. Decorated in an "Arabian Knights" style, the inside of the ballroom reminded me of the Prince of Persia video game. The walls were designed like the outside of an Arabian palace. Between the intricate designed towers was a balcony that also had additional seating. The entry way into the venue and the bathrooms were decorated with mosaic tiles and added a lot to the feeling of being in some Arabian palace. If you ever get a chance to see a show there, I definitely recommend checking it out. The show itself definitely made me feel like I was watching a rock show. The lighting effects were amazing and added to the music. Listening to Phoenix live, I think they excel most when they build up songs into a crescendo, lyrics or not. Too me, other then their final song, 1901, the instrumental songs were my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment