Tuesday, September 29, 2009

tUnE-YaRdS


Tuesday, October 20 at High Noon Saloon.  7pm
W/ Sunset Rubdown


tUnE-YaRdS is Merrill Garbus and I have to say I had the distinct honor in having this amazing musician stay at our house last year.  I didn't know anything about her before she came and didn't hear much of her stuff until I saw her perform at the Project Lodge.  Then I was blown away.  Here was this person that I thought was like every other starving musician hoping to get a few fans, sell a few tapes (she didn't have any CD's) and then that was that.  But when I heard her, I knew she was very different. 

First thing that will catch your attention is Merrill's voice.  This voice can ring loud and true or soft and wisp like depending on the feel of her songs.  And Merrill is very much a DIY person, performing every part of each song, looping the drums, guitar, and sometimes a little Beat Boxing on her part.  I have to say that her live performance was one of the best I saw at the entire Forward Music Festival, given that the setup alone had you guessing how everything will come together.  That drum beat.  That beatboxing.  Where was she going with it?  And then she would add her voice.  Ahhh...everything comes together and you are left amazed to have witness the creation of each of her songs. 

She has spent time in Africa, and it shows with some of her vocals and with some of the sounds within her songs.  All and all, she is someone not to miss.

Check out these songs:

BiRd-BrAiNs (2008)

Hatari
News

No comments:

Post a Comment