Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Bands at Sasquatch: The Heavy

Thursday, May 20 at Memorial Union ??


So since all I can really think about lately is my trip to the great NorthWest for Sasquatch, I decided to post some bands that I haven't heard of before but after listening to them I really enjoyed what I heard.  First up is British band, The Heavy.  While looking them up, I noticed that they say on their Myspace page that they are coming to the Memorial Union on May 20th.  Really?   I wonder why WUD didn't have this up on their site?  If this band is coming here, they need to publicize it tremendously so that they get the audience they deserve.   
The Heavy have been compared to James Brown and Curtis Mayfield with the style of their music and the similarities in vocals from Kelvin Swaby.  My feeling is they definitely are taking lessons from older R&B beats and sounds and Kelvin's voice definitely has a great blues sound to it.  If they are coming to the Union, I would hope the terrace will be as packed as it was for Janelle Monae, because these guys really are amazing.  And for Christ's sake they are coming from Britian.  That ain't cheap.  Check out some of their tunes here.

The House that Dirt Built (2009)

Sixteen (video)
How You Like Me Now? (video)

No comments:

Post a Comment