Sunday, November 8, 2009

Glass Ghost


Saturday, December 19 at the Annex
Winter Art Show w/ Samwell Rowan, Mighty Joe White and Eli August 
 
   I like that the production of  visual art is being paired up with some good music at this event.  And it's even more amazing since this is something I would have expected more from High Noon Saloon then from the Annex.  I remember when I saw Janelle Monae at Bonnaroo and for one of her songs she painted a picture at the same time.  After the song, she tossed it into the audience.  It was awesome to watch her express the songs emotions through painting.  I don't know exactly what is going to happen at this event, but I'm guessing that they have a select number of artists that will paint throughout the concert and then sell their art afterwards.  Anyway, fun idea.
            Glass Ghost sounded familiar to me, and when I looked them up I saw that they actually performed or will be performing  with Dirty Projectors, White Rabbits and also with Tune Yards.  They are from New York City (guess what part).  Hmm, I'm trying to classify them.  I almost think they have a similar sound as Of Montreal in a few of their songs, but a lot less simplier it being mainly a drum synthesizer and a regular synthesizer playing.  It's mostly Eliot Krimsky's voice sung solo over very minimalistic music that have a poppy, fun sound to it.  I like a few of their more intrincate songs, but some of their other songs I'm ehh on.  But I do think it would be fun to paint to their music.  Also check out Samwell Rowan's music.  It's got more of an 80's feel to it with it's New Wave and they are from Minneapolis, so they may play here more often. 

Idol Owen (2009)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment