Sunday, October 18, 2009

Gossip Show at Majestic

There were so many people excited to see Beth Ditto and to jam out to the Gossip last night. We got there a little after 9pm and MEN were already playing. JD's new group sounded great. I was thinking that the group was just him DJing and singing over that, but there were two other bandmates with him. It was fun electro and it was cool to actually see JD up close.
Then the Gossip performed. Right from the first song, I can tell something was different. And then when Beth Ditto started talking and her voice started going out, I knew that this wouldn't be the awesome show it was supposed to be. Beth said that she was getting sick (which I have a lot of sympathy for) but she also mentioned the crazy time she had the night before in Chicago and how she was screaming out songs all night with JD at the after party. Ummm...I know we aren't Chicago, but a couple hundred people had just paid $20 to see you and now you can't sing very well. She has performed in Madison other times so I don't think she meant to diss Madison personally, but it did make me feel like she had to get her party on in Chicago because small town Madison won't be much fun. Just my feelings on it.
I can say that there were many people who said the show was great and had a lot of fun. I had fun to though the typical elbows and pushing on the dance floor by people not dancing still occurred. But worse, most of the songs were sung by the audience then by Beth. Every song there was a point where she couldn't sing any more and so everyone in the venue sang it. And since she only did 2 songs that I can remember from Standing in the Way of Control and the rest from her newest album, I'm glad some other people new the lyrics. And my favorite song. The song that when I heard it at the Annex 2 or 3 years ago I knew this was an amazing artist, Yr Mangled Heart, was very bad last night. I was pretty sad about that. So my feelings are that, hey Beth, hope you have a good time the rest of the tour but I feel you owe a lot of people in Madison a show that you can actually sing in.

No comments:

Post a Comment