Monday, October 12, 2009

Matisyahu


Saturday, October 31st at Pabst Theater, Milwaukee

I have no idea what I'm goint to dress up as for Halloween.  I really want to bring Halloween back to the days when people actually dressed in scary costumes and not costumes that mainly look like you are a whore for women and some men, and stupid references to sex for men.  How about some mass murderer costumes?  When will those come back in style?  Anyway, on to Matisyahu.
I've heard this guy's name quite frequently and I'm pretty sure he played at the Orpheum theater this past summer.  But I never really listened to this guys music.  I have to admit, the Hasidic Jew appearance made me think, "Does this guy know how to party?".  Don't get me wrong.  I feel the same way when I see monks and also sweater clad strict Protestants.   But it wasn't until recently that I started listening to his music.  And you know what, this guy ain't half bad.
         Matisyahu combines reggae, electronic music, and definitely a sense of Indie Rock to his songs.  I feel better knowing that he used to be a Deadhead before converting to Hasidic Judaism and that he was a former Phish groupie.  Ok, now I see where his sound comes from.  Check out some of his songs and let me know what you think.

Thunder (Live at the Orpheum Theater)

No comments:

Post a Comment