Thursday, October 29, 2009

Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros


Saturday, November 28 at High Noon Saloon
 w/ Fool's Gold & Local Natives 

      I was searching for some up and coming music when I stumbled upon this band playing at the High Noon Saloon.  I know how name recognition is used to jump start new bands, so once I saw that Alex Ebert from Ima Robot was in this band, I had to check it out.  Wow, Alex.  Talk about a 180.  He went from cyber disco to hippieland.  LOL.  Ok, I'll take it.  Anyway, Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros does remind me a little of Polyphonic Spree because of their accoustic instruments and choir background singers.  I also picked up on a few horns playing in the background of some of their songs.  That kind of makes me think of a jam band, but without the 10 minute instrumental sections.   They also have a kind of druggy Beatles sound as well, which I guess goes into the hippie music scene.  Their shows look like a lot of fun though! But alas, no drum machine or synthesizer.  Super sad face.  Well, I like this type of music too and for some reason I feel like some of this is in fun because I can't see Alex taking himself to seriously.  Especially as a hippie.  Check out some of their songs and see for your self. 
 

 Self Titled Album

No comments:

Post a Comment